Avoid ruining your vacation with these tips.
Being sick being sick on a boat is unbearable, but we can keep sea sickness from ruining your vacation.
NEVER VOMIT on the boat or in the head, OVER the RAIL. Feed the fish, not contaminate the boat.
DOWNWIND, BACK OF THE BOAT, courteous to others
Things You will need to battle the sickness;
- medication (Dramamine)
- Bread and other grains
- Hard candy
- Dry crackers
Step 1: DRUGS!
preventively take an over-the-counter antihistamine/Dramamine the night prior to boarding the boat (you can also consult your doctor for prescription medication)
You need to take the Dramamine the night prior to having it in your bloodstream before we leave. Taking in the morning of will not help you with the morning bar crossing.
- Smoking of any kind prior to departure could cause you to get sick.
Step 2: FOOD!
- Drink plenty of water prior to boarding. Dehydration can make you dizzy and cause nausea.
- Bread and other grains apples and bananas are all good to snack on prior to departure.
- Avoid anything greasy
- Drinking Alcohol the night prior will doom you.
Step 3 –Finding a good spot on the boat:
find a spot on board where motion is least noticeable such as the inner middle part of the boat. A window can help with the rocking Motion in a perspective but can also worse than the feelings of nausea as more objects are moving.
Step 4 – focus on the horizon
If you think over and over again you are gonna get sick, your gonna keep feeling sick. Find a way to distract your mind until we get out to the fishing spot. Most times the feeling goes away in the presence of adrenaline in the blood. Many greenhorn deckhands tie knots on the way out to avoid the sickness.
Step 6 – Oral distractions
- suck on hard candy or eat dry crackers to keep nausea in check
- Laying down will doom you and increase the feeling.
- Its best to ride it out and stay fishing, it does help when you catch a 30lb fish.
We found this video and wanted to share it with our viewers who don’t like to read and would rather watch a short video! Don’t forget to give the owner alike for his content!